Friday, October 3, 2008

The Great Green Bag Experiment -- Results!


And the winner is -- not what you think. As you can see from the photograph to the right, B, the banana in the green bag that was kept at room temperature on my kitchen counter looks far better than the other two. My conclusion is that green bags do help bananas last longer and that we shouldn't buy more bananas than we think our families will eat in one week.





To the left, you can see that I've peeled each of the bananas and they all look edible inside. But the surprising result to me is that banana C, the one that looks the worst because it was in a green bag and kept inside my refrigerator, is far and away the freshest inside.












The two photographs above represent a slice taken from the top of each banana (left) and a slice taken from the middle of each banana (right). They are lined up A, B, and C. The picture on the right is the most telling since a crack is visible in banana A. It was not in a green bag and was on my kitchen counter. It's quite mushy and has that mealy, old banana taste. It would be great for baking, though. Banana B, which looked the best on the outside is also a bit on the older mushy side. It's still edible but a lot of kids would refuse to eat it. The firmest banana with the best flavor is the one that looks the worst! The horrible brown exterior of banana C hides a banana with an almost fresh flavor. It's not the least bit mushy and tastes great. So, if you can overlook the brown peel wrapping it or you can serve it already peeled as a garnish or with cereal, banana C is the winner. My bananas will be in a green bag in the refrigerator.

Thanks for following the Great Green Bag Experiment. Stay tuned because I'll experiment with storing lettuce soon. Next week, chocolate yogurt and Pedipaws!

5 comments:

Lorna Barrett said...

I'm going to direct my Mom to read these posts. She has the green bags and would NEVER think to put bananas in the fridge. I mean, weren't we always told it was BAD for bananas???

That said, I can't eat bananas anymore. They give me heartburn.

Bummer.

Kaye said...

Wow - I'm getting my green bags out and putting the bananas in them from now on. Then into the fridge. And probably other stuff, too.

What a great experiment! Thanks for doing this, Krista!
-Kaye George

~ Gina ~ said...

Who knew? I've ALWAYS judged my bananas by their covers! My husband will be thrilled to know there will be less waste around here.

Live and learn.

~ Dianne

Elizabeth said...

After reading this, I put my newest bunch of bananas in the
refrigerator after arriving home from the grocery store on Friday. (I haven't made up my mind yet on purchasing the green bags yet.) Two days later, my frig died.  Once the cool was completely gone, I put the bananas on the counter.  They are now as firm on Wednesday as they were when I got home from the store and just as tasty.  So, at least I was ablt to preserve the bananas for longer than usual before my "domestic death!"

Elizabeth said...

After reading this, I put my newest bunch of bananas in the
refrigerator after arriving home from the grocery store on Friday. (I have not purchased any green bags yet.) Two days later, my frig died.  Once the cool was completely gone, I put the bananas on the counter.  They are now as firm on Wednesday as they were when I got home from the store and just as tasty.  So, at least I was able to preserve the bananas for longer than usual before my "domestic death!"

 
template by suckmylolly.com