Monday, October 20, 2008

PediPaws Update


I've now spent a week introducing the PediPaws to my dogs and cat with little success. My Jack Russell is terrified of it. I should mention that she copes with some fears from her life before she landed with me, so it could be that some bad memory from her past is causing her horror.

However, my cat, whose claws I have clipped since he was a kitten, doesn't tolerate the PediPaws, either. While one of my dogs is quite curious about it, he immediately yanks his paw away when it touches his nail. His sister stays a safe distance from me when she sees it in my hand.

To their credit, the makers of the PediPaws provide instructions that say to introduce it slowly, with treats. The problem, in my opinion, is that the sensation of a rotary emery board is one that is unfamiliar to dogs and cats. I stuck my nail in it (yes, I now have a weird flat spot on my nail) and it was an unfamiliar feeling to me. Unlike an emory board, there's a vibrating sensation. It could be that one or two of my dogs will eventually come around, but I can see that it will take time. Over the weekend, I saw the PediPaws commercial a couple of times and not one of my animals sits calmly waiting for me to trim his or her nails with the PediPaws. The dog who yanks his foot away from the nail clipper (in the ad) is more representative of what happens in my house with the PediPaws.

You'll note in the photograph above that a Dremel Rotary tool is in the picture next to the PediPaws. The concept is very much the same. After I saw my Vet trimming my bird's beak with a Dremel, I bought my own and have used it for that purpose for years. The Dremel is more expensive than the PediPaws, has a rechargeable battery and is smaller, so easier to hold. The surface of the sandpaper section that rotates is also smaller than that of the PediPaws and there's no plastic cover where the nail is inserted, so they're substantially different but the idea is the same. If you own a Dremel, you might consider trying it on your pets' claws to see how they tolerate the vibration.

Does the PediPaws work? Yes. Will it work on your dog or cat? Hard to say. If I acquired a kitten or a puppy, I would buy a PediPaws and introduce it while the animal was young enough to adapt. I don't have high hopes for using it on my crew, though.

Three cupcakes. PediPaws is a good idea but whether your cat or dog will tolerate it is questionable.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com