Monday, January 19, 2009

Paper Towels


An acquaintance of mine once said he would know he was successful when he could regularly buy Viva brand paper towels. If you haven't tried them, they're pretty remarkable. They really do hold up, even in tough jobs. But no matter which brand you buy, if you use a lot of paper towels, you're tossing money away.

I'm a big believer in drying hands with paper towels when someone in the house has a cold or the flu. But if everyone is healthy, a kitchen towel is perfectly fine for drying hands. A towel can be laundered repeatedly and will last for years.

Are you a fan of cooking shows? Have you ever noticed that chefs walk around with a towel? We should take a cue from them. There's not much a paper towel can wipe up that a towel can't take care of just as well -- maybe better.

And if you're going green for the sake of the earth, cloth towels make sense on both ends of the equation. Save a tree by using fewer paper towels, and don't clog up the world with so many discarded paper towels!

2 comments:

Lorna Barrett said...

Oops. I'm a terrible offender. I'm trying to go green, but I must admit I've been turned off by the price of dishcloths. I went to K-Mart last fall and they wanted $10 for three!!! I know, I spend a lot more every year on paper towels. I will try to be better.

Krista said...

Around here, it's easy to spend over a dollar per roll of paper towels -- and that's buying in bulk. $10 for three cloth towels is a much better investment. Keep an eye on your local TJ Maxx. They sometimes have high quality (long lasting) dish towels at very good prices.

~Krista

 
template by suckmylolly.com