Tuesday, January 27, 2009

War of the Greek Yogurts


A few months after I declared my addiction to Oikos, Stonyfield Farm's delicious Greek Yogurt, it disappeared from store shelves. I assumed it had become too expensive for WalMart to carry, but when it vanished from Kroger, I didn't know what to think. I checked with my natural food store, and they pitched Fage (pronounced fa-yeh). You'll love it, they promised. With no alternatives, I finally caved and tried Fage.

It was fabulous. Better than fabulous. Delicious. Sinful. Rich and creamy. I didn't even need the cherry part. I felt like I was dipping into sour cream. How could it be so good?

Turns out there's a little bit of a difference between Oikos and Fage -- specifically, 100 calories and nine grams of saturated fat. My happy balloon burst rather quickly. Oikos is an organic nonfat yogurt. It contains 110 calories and zero grams of fat. Fage is made of milk and cream, which means it's 210 calories, with 12 grams of total fat.

Now I have to admit that they both taste great. But all things considered, I think I'd rather have zero grams of fat, especially zero grams of saturated fat.

Happily, I've learned that Oikos disappeared because it was in such demand that Stonyfield Farm switched to a larger facility. It's due back in stores any time now. I can't wait. And it's great news for consumers because there are two excellent Greek yogurts on the market.

Three cupcakes to Fage for wonderful flavor, super texture, and delicious taste. If only it had less fat.

Five cupcakes to Stonyfield Farm and Oikos for a fabulous Greek yogurt -- and no guilt.

4 comments:

J said...

Fage makes a non fat version...

I adore it with berries and a serving of Fiber One.

Krista said...

That's good to know. How odd that none of my local stores carries the nonfat version. Is it as good as the full fat version?

J said...

I honestly have never had the full fat version... I was on Weight Watchers when one of the leaders suggested it and I was eager to try something new that would be filling.

It's so lovely, thick and creamy though... very nice with just a little honey too.

Krista said...

Thanks, J! I asked about it at my grocery store, but they're having problems with their yogurt order, so it's unlikely that they'll get it. I'll keep an eye out for it, though. I'm eager to try it.

 
template by suckmylolly.com