Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Dishwashing Liquid With No Smell

I've been trying out various dishwashing liquids, after all, I dip my hands in them every day, and the residue goes back into the water table, so I would like to use something that's good for me and the environment. Seventh Generation has been on the shelf at my natural food store for years, but now it has also turned up in my chain grocery store. At $3.29 a bottle, the price is certainly competitive with other brands.

The first thing I noticed was that the label claimed it was "free & clear of perfumes and dyes." When I got it home and opened it, I sniffed. Nothing. I dipped my nose closer. Still nothing. Thinking my sniffer might be broken, I asked a couple of other people to smell it. No one smelled anything. It's not like there's a mild little smell -- it just has no smell at all. I don't know how they do that, but I do know it will be welcome news to a lot of people who are sensitive to scents.

It's also colorless. That would appear to back up their "no dyes" claim. According to their label, the cleaning agent is plant-derived. In fact, they say "If every household in the US replaced just one bottle of 25 oz. petroleum-based dishwashing liquid with our plant-derived product, we could save 86,000 barrels of oil, enough to heat and cool 4,900 US homes for a year!" Wow. Pretty impressive. If that's not enough, the bottle itself is 25% recycled plastic, and they donate 10% of their profits to charity. Seems almost too good to be true. Want to know more? Check them out at seventhgeneration.com.

Ah, you say, but how well does it wash dishes? Very well! I'm quite pleased with its performance. I don't feel like I have to rinse forever to get it off, and it seems to go a little farther than some brands I've used.

I plan to report on other brands, but Seventh Generation's non-toxic, biodegradable, and hypo-allergenic Natural Dish Liquid is a top contender for daily use in my house!

Five cupcakes!

1 comments:

Elizabeth said...

My mother, who is hypersensitive to scents, uses 7th Generation for her laundry as well as dish needs. She even brings it to my house when she comes to visit. I think she's been using it for several years and seems quite happy with it.

 
template by suckmylolly.com