Friday, February 27, 2009

The Elusive Black Currant


I confess. I'm a nut for black currants. Popular and actually quite common in Europe, the black currant berry has been extremely hard to find in the US. Seems that someone decided they promoted a pine blight and they were subsequently banned from the US. Fortunately, some states are overturning the ban and we'll be seeing more of them.

Packed with antioxidants, more than blueberries even, black currants are tiny dark berries with a distinctive tart taste. Right now, they're usually found in jam or juice form in the US, but rumor has it that we'll be seeing the fresh and dried versions in stores soon, too. Fabulous in sauces to accompany meats, it also makes delicious desserts.

Five cupcakes!

2 comments:

Marlyn said...

Yaaay!! I love black currants, esp. black currant jam.

Frugalhomekeeping said...

I've never tried anything with black currants, but now I'm curious!

 
template by suckmylolly.com