Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Pass the Peas, Please

It's that time of year again. We're reaching into the freezer to eat the last of the summer's harvest. And even though grocery stores have a remarkable variety of fresh produce for the middle of the winter, we mosey on over to the frozen foods section anyway.

So while you're over there browsing, check out the steam-style vegetables. They taste so good that if I were blindfolded, I might have trouble distinguishing them from their fresh counterparts.

After all the bad news about plastics, I don't cook them in the bag. I pop them into a pot, add a little water and bring them to a boil. The key is to get them off the stove as soon as they start to boil, and pour the whole thing into a colander to drain. They're crisp, not at all mushy, and you can dress them up any way you like. When they taste this fresh, though, they're terrific plain.

The peas in the picture are from Private Selection, which is a Kroger brand. I'm big on organic food, but I've noticed these steam-style veggies available in non-organic versions as well. I haven't tried them, but I'd be willing to bet they're pretty good.

Don't like peas? The steam-style green beans are super, too!

Five cupcakes.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com