Monday, March 16, 2009

But Do I Really Need It?

Guest blogger Lorna Barrett writes The New York Times Bestselling Booktown Mystery series. Her latest book, Bookmarked for Death, was just released. She also writes the Jeff Resnick series, under the name L.L. Bartlett.


It seems like every time I turn on the TV there's an infomercial on for the GT Xpress 101 -- it's a little counter top cooker thingy. The show is hosted by "TV Personality and food expert" Cathy Mitchell. (And there she is!)

(And just who the heck is Cathy Mitchell?)

Mind you, she's got a personality all right, and her cooking demonstration for this little - sandwich? - machine leaves my mouth watering. I'm not kidding you, I've seen this infomercial at least 20 times, and every time I'm not only mesmerized, I'm actually tempted to buy the darn thing. (I love it when they show the infomercial twice in a row on a Sunday morning. Heck, there's nothing else on the tube to watch.)

Cathy and her pal Joe Farago (I feel like we're all friends by this time) show you about 20 different things you can make. The thing comes with a cookbook with 101 recipes -- hence, the name, I guess. As an omelet lover, this thing really appeals to me. It heats up fast, it's easy to clean -- and you can toss in leftovers. Doesn't a Brussels sprouts and green bean omelet appeal to you, too?

I couldn't capture pictures of the food you can cook with the GT Xpress 101, but check out a slideshow at this link. Don't you want to just manga? And you can see part of the infomercial here.

We got an electric sandwich maker as a wedding gift nearly 18 years ago. I think we used it once. (I don't eat toasted cheese sandwiches, which is about all it's good for.) So the truth is, if I got one of these things, I'd probably use it twice. Once for the novelty -- and a second time just to prove it wasn't just a novelty. Forty bucks (for two of them--and why would I need two?) is just too much to pay for that. (Then again . . . garage sale season starts up again in April!)

In the meantime, I guess I'll just tune in to see Cathy and Joe several times a weekend -- until the next thing they go to sell comes around. Then I'll watch that infomercial dozens of times, too.

And what infomercial catches your attention?

2 comments:

Lorna Barrett said...

Oops -- forgot to add my cupcakes.

Potentially five cupcakes for the GT Express 101 and NO cupcakes for the shipping charges.

Darlene Ryan said...

It's not an infomercial product but it's "not available in any stores" either. It's the Pro-Caulk, a little piece of bendy plastic with different shaped corners that is supposed to allow me to do a professional sealing job anytime I have to caulk something. And it's only 19.95 plus S&H.

It looks so good on the commercial I tend to forget I don't have anything in my house that needs caulking.

 
template by suckmylolly.com