Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Let There Be Light


Solar lights might be the best thing since sliced bread. I'm for almost anything that will reduce my electric bill. But I'm sorry to say that I've already owned and tossed out two sets of solar lights. They weren't the most expensive, and one group was certainly first generation, so maybe I shouldn't have expected too much from them. But they weren't cheap, either. They worked great for at least one year, but then they died. And replacement batteries didn't bring them back to life.


But every time I see solar lights in a store, I find myself gazing at them again. Tempted to try one more time, wondering which ones will hold up and which ones would be a waste of money. And so it was that I happened to see this little light. The lamp part is tiny, just over an inch or so in diameter. It's on a little post that comes with a stake cleverly inserted into the bottom upside down, so you can use it or not as you like. It comes in an assortment of colors -- black, silver, copper, and bronze. For no particular reason, I bought a copper colored one to try out.


It says it needs eight hours of sunlight to charge and that one full charge will light for eight hours. I stuck it in a flower pot when I got home and even though there were only about three hours of daylight left, the little light came on anyway.

These photographs were taken after it snowed, but they show that it casts a light, maybe 16 inches in diameter. They won't light up the night, but they would make cute little markers or be good accents.

And why was I so tempted to buy this little light? $4 at WalMart. Maybe it won't last, but it won't hurt so much to toss it if it doesn't.

Number of cupcakes to be decided -- let's see how long it lasts first!

2 comments:

Darlene Ryan said...

We have a small above-ground pool and I'd like some solar lights which could withstand the occasional splash of water and would provide light to swim by, but not not enough to spotlight me in my suit.

Krista said...

I don't know about the splashing, but these little lights would mostly illuminate your tootsies, which are undoubtedly svelte and cute, no matter what the bathing suit part looks like.

 
template by suckmylolly.com