Monday, March 23, 2009

Roasting Chicken

Guest blogger and friend, Janet Koch, tells me a lot of people take great pride in their roasted chicken. I guess I'm one of those, but I consider it basic cooking -- it's sort of an easy no-brainer. Forget about all the great things you can add to chicken like lemon, olives, grapes, and garlic. Plain old roasted chicken with salt is still the best.

However, I do use a vertical poultry roaster. It looks something like this. They're relatively inexpensive, running between $5.00 and $16.00, depending on brand and where you buy it. I've had mine for ages. It came with a special tray that fit on the top for automatic basting. Totally unnecessary. It also came with skewers to hang mini kabobs from it. I don't think I ever used them. Basically, it just holds the chicken upright. The great thing is that the fat and juices drip down into a pan. And if you're a big lover of crispy chicken skin, when using a vertical roaster, the skin crisps up nicely all the way around.

Coming tomorrow, the basic roasting recipe and a tip for thawing whole chickens fast.

Five cupcakes for the vertical roaster!

2 comments:

Darlene Ryan said...

I've never used a vertical roaster and I've always wondered: do you end up having to clean the oven of chicken fat when it's done roasting? I have visions of having to create The Cone of Silence around the chicken out of aluminum foil and that just seems wrong.

Krista said...

Darlene, I do think there's a little bit more splatter. You can always roast it on a regular roasting rack in a horizontal position, but I still prefer the vertical roaster. Or, if you absolutely can't stand the idea of cleaning the oven, (shameless promotion here) The Diva Takes the Cake includes the recipe for Beer Bottom Chicken, which roasts on the grill. It's delicious and the beer can acts as a vertical roaster -- no oven clean up needed!

 
template by suckmylolly.com