Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Homemade Bread -- The Easy Way

Sometimes there aren't enough hours in the day for a diva to do everything. Instead of making yourself a wreck, there are times when it makes more sense to use a shortcut. Hodgson Mill Bread Mixes to the rescue.

These mixes are almost infallible. Just drag out your bread machine, dump in the mix, the yeast (which comes in the package), a knob of butter, and warm water, and you're half way to home baked bread. Now, it is technically cheating, because you don't have to measure flour, you don't have to come up with the recipe, or remember to buy four kinds of flour and yeast. And since the bread machine does the kneading, well, it really is too easy to be true.

My machine has a manual mode that takes it through the kneading cycle. I can remove the bread dough, shape it into rolls or whatever I like, let it rise one more time, and then bake. But it's still so easy that I almost feel guilty. Until I eat it.

I can heartily recommend the Caraway Rye, 9 Grain, European Cheese and Herb, and Potato Bread mixes. They turn out perfect every time. Look for them in the baking aisle of your grocery store and if you can't find them, go to the online store at http://www.hodgsonmill.com/online-store/. Shh, just don't tell anyone your homemade bread came from a box.

Five cupcakes and enough time left over for a much deserved nap.

3 comments:

Marlyn said...

And I thought I was cheating just using the bread machine!

Elizabeth said...

I have a friend who makes the best homemade bread using a bread machine. She then twists the dough into pretzels, adds cheese on top and bakes them. They make the best treats! Once I eat them, I don't care about eating anything else!

Pattie T. said...

I had a bread machine years ago, and I mean YEARS, and eventually stopped using it. In the interim, it died. I was okay with that because it was big, clunky, and hey, no one used bread machines any more. Then, all of a sudden there is renewed interest, so I found a great little Sunbeam for $42 and grabbed it right up. Now I LOVE making bread. I've not tried any mixes (Williams-Sonoma used to offer a Brioche bread mix that was so good you'd be tempted to trade your first born) in this machine, but have seen those that you mentioned in the baking aisle at the market. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to try these!

 
template by suckmylolly.com