Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter

Everyone who sees my Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter asks the same thing -- does it work?

Well, yes. It's basically a heavy cylindrical bag with a plastic top. The top lifts off so it can be filled with soil. There's also a handy round hole in the top for watering. The tomato plant is inserted through a hole in the bottom. Not exactly rocket science but clever enough.

My biggest complaint with the Topsy Turvy Planter (and yes, you can plant flowers if you prefer) is that it has to hang. Now that wouldn't seem to be a big deal but it's about 16 inches long and 9 inches in diameter -- fill with soil and add water, and it's a very hefty package. You can't hang it in a tree because the plant will need light. I'd be hesitant about hanging it from a soffit, although I suppose it could be. I notice that they're now plugging a special stand from which it can be hung. If you're contemplating using a Topsy Turvy Planter, make sure you have a spot from which you can hang it.

My other small complaint is that it supposedly eliminates cutworms, but I found several nicely nestled on my tomato plant the first year.

Those things aside, it's a convenient and easy way to garden. I can imagine that it might be particularly useful for people who can't bend or walk. Or for people who don't have room for a regular garden. And, of course, there's that huge plus -- no weeding!

One of my friends reported that she got amazing results the first year and less stellar results the second year. I've used mine for two years as well. It has never looked like the ones in the advertisements, but each year the plant has yielded a few tomatoes.

Four cupcakes.

1 comments:

Pattie T. said...

I tried this three years ago. At that time my son was working at Cold Stone Creamery and got me a couple of big ice cream tubs that I bottom drilled and planted with tomatoes. (Yes, they were heavy!) The tomatoes grew very well and produced beautiful, healthy plants and big red tomatoes. Ask the squirrels. They found great sport (and developed superior skills) in jumping from the not-so-nearby trees onto the tomato branches, and then riding them like Tarzan until they broke and made off with the fruit.

 
template by suckmylolly.com