Sunday, April 26, 2009

Vidalia Chop Wizard

This weekend, I tried out the Vidalia Chop Wizard. Yes, that's the same one you've seen advertised on TV. A few swift moves and the spokesman produces cups of chopped onions and a great fruit salad.

I'm going to be blogging about this gadget for two days, mostly because my impressions kept swinging back and forth about it.


The Chop Wizard is nearly a foot long and few inches high. It comes with a basic container, two chopping devices, one small and one large, and a little plastic comb for cleaning it.

You choose a blade size and insert it into the container, which has a hinged, removable cover. The item being diced goes on top of the blade grid, and then you bring down the lid, thereby putting pressure on the food and forcing it through the blades into the container below.


The basic idea isn't bad. So I was excited to try it and see if it would save me time. I dice a lot of sweet potatoes, so naturally, that was the first thing I tried. I cut a piece of sweet potato about an inch and a half high, inserted it, and brought the top down to cut it. Now, I'm no 98 pound weakling, but it was very hard to push that small piece of raw sweet potato through. And it came out in long shapes, not diced. Aha, I realized that the device doesn't really dice. That is, the blades work in one direction, nothing is cutting horizontally to dice a piece of potato. So, I cut a slice of sweet potato about half an inch thick, but it still took herculean effort to drive the potato through the slicer. At that point, you can imagine, I was pretty darned disappointed in the Chop Wizard.

But to be fair, it doesn't list sweet potatoes as one of the veggies that it's designed to cut. So I pulled out an onion, which cut very nicely. The extra bonus about an onion is that they're layered, so it really does dice them, because when the blade cuts through the onion, it falls into lots lof similarly sized pieces.

More tomorrow on the Vidalia Chop Wizard!

3 comments:

Pattie T. said...

I'm curious as to what you do with all of the diced sweet potatoes. I discovered the joy of the sweet potato late in life, and now grow them, so I'm always looking for interesting uses.

Krista said...

I was never a fan of sweet potatoes until recently. I make them for my dogs. They eat them plain, mixed with other food, and they love baked slices as treats. But I have a wonderful recipe for sweet potatoes with pineapple and orange liquor. Delicious!

Pattie T. said...

Pineapple?! And Orange liquor?! Yes, go on.

 
template by suckmylolly.com