Tuesday, May 12, 2009

All American Blueberry

Photo: Blueberries. Link to photo information
Prices are falling on fresh blueberries because they're coming into season. In Virginia, our blueberry bushes still only have small white fruit on them, but they're already ripe farther south. It has become pretty clear that berries of any kind are tremendously healthy for us. Blueberries are packed with antioxidants , so much so that they're at the top of the antioxidant list. Recent research suggests they may be helpful to the brain as well, and might even assist in preventing Alzheimers. The best thing about these little fruits is that they're sweet and delicious and it's not hard to convince anyone, even picky children, to eat them.

I love to throw them into pancake batter. There's something about that sweet little burst of flavor when you bite into one. Or toss some into a salad. Or put out a bowl of them on the counter, like nuts -- you'll be surprised how fast they disappear.

It's easy to stock up on them too. The odd key to freezing them (and raspberries as well) is to *not* wash them! Simply pour a basket of berries into a freezer bag, seal and freeze. You'll have the fresh flavor and health benefits all winter.

Memorial Day is around the corner, and I can't think of many things that are more American than homemade blueberry pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. What a way to usher in the summer. The easy recipe -- coming tomorrow.

Five cupcakes for blueberries!

3 comments:

Lorna Barrett said...

You said: "it's not hard to convince anyone, even picky children, to eat them."Oh dear. I'm no longer a child, but I INTENSELY DISLIKE most berries, no matter how sweet. The thing is, they're all so beautiful and everyone I know seems to appreciate them. Why was I born without that chip?

Krista said...

I hate to hear that, Lorna. I guess everyone doesn't like something -- but berries? They're so good. Does that mean you don't like berry pies either?

Krista

Lorna Barrett said...

You got it! In fact, I don't like pie. I'm a cake and cookie girl. I know, I know -- it's unAmerican not to like pie. Hand me a scone!

 
template by suckmylolly.com