Friday, May 8, 2009

Grape Juice

When I was a kid, I loved grape juice. What wasn't to like? It was sweet and purple. But I can still hear my dad saying, "it's full of added colors and sugar" and that was the end of that.

It turns out that grapes and grape juice are really good for us. Loaded with antioxidants, it seems that lowly grape juice also contains the heart healthy benefits of red wine. (Yes, I hear the wine version can be more fun!)

The trick, of course, is finding grape juice that meets dad's strict requirements. No color or sugar added. And no juice blends. Read the labels. Some grape juices list apple juice as the first ingredient.

Enter Santa Cruz Organic Concord Grape Juice. Made of 100% concord grape concentrate, it's nothing but grapes and it's organic, too. It sells for around $3.50 for a 32 ounce bottle, and is generally found in the health food juice section of grocery stores.

But would it pass the taste test? Would it be sweet enough without apple juice or additional sugar? Yes! Not only is it sweet, I think it will even pass the munchkin test.

Five cupcakes!

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com