Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Environmentally-Friendly Dishwashing Detergent

Lately, I've been buying one automatic dishwasher detergent after another and getting the same horrible results.  Nothing gets clean.  Oh, the dishes are sort of clean, but that's because I've been washing them by hand before I put them into the dishwasher.  And let's not even get into glasses.  Ick!  I was beginning to think I would have to go back to hand-washing my dishes.

Since the day my dog licked the powder when I poured it into the cup, I've been looking for dishwashing detergents that are as natural and environmentally friendly as possible (though it's worth noting that even when I went back to my old well known brand I had the same terrible results).  So I bought a big name brand that was supposed to be good for the environment.  It was a liquid, and I didn't even fill the cup completely.  I actually had to open all the windows because the odor of chlorine was so overpowering that I couldn't breathe.  And the glasses still looked unappetizing.

Now, I will admit that I have very hard well water, and I've chalked up my dishwasher problems to that for a long time.  Because of the hard water, I always add vinegar.

And then, because I didn't want to use the chlorine nightmare again, I picked up a box of Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwasher Detergent.  I had extremely low expectations.  I was certain my glasses would still be foggy and the pots and pans would have an icky film on them.  NOT SO!

I love this stuff.  It's biodegradable, and phosphate and chlorine free.  My dishwasher is running with it right now and there's no horrendous smell driving me out of the room.  Even better, my glasses look clean again!  Really clean.  Love this stuff.  At first blush it looks pricy, but when compared to the prices on other non-environmentally friendly brands, it come out fairly close.  It might even be less expensive than some of those little packet thingies.  In addition, I'm always getting Seventh Generation coupons, and they're usually very good -- often $1 off. Check it out at http://www.seventhgeneration.com/Free-and-Clear/Dishwasher-Detergent .

Five cupcakes to Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwasher Detergent!

5 comments:

JSD said...

Thanks! I'm almost out of mine and need to get some, so I plan to try this. :)

Janet Bolin said...

Thank you! We have the same problem with very hard well water. I worry that the diswasher will clog up with all that lime, calcium, whatever.

Krista said...

JSD, let me know if you like it. I'm interested in hearing how well it works for others.

Krista said...

Janet, the dishwasher and the laundry washing machine will clog up. I use a lot of vinegar, which seems to magically dissolve that nasty buildup.

Dru said...

Thanks for telling us about this product. Heading to their site now.

 
template by suckmylolly.com